ABC World News Tonight Remains No.1 In All Measures During Shortened Holiday Week

ABC World News tonight with David Muir was the # 1 evening newscast during the week between Christmas and New Years, both in total viewership (8.75 million) and among adults aged 25 to 54 (1, 60 million) for the week of December 27, 2021.

Guest-anchored by Whit johnson Last week, World News Tonight beat both its NBC and CBS competitions 161 of the last 162 total weeks on average and 90 of the last 92 weeks among adults aged 25 to 54.

The television news gained + 5% of the total number of viewers and + 9% among adults aged 25 to 54 compared to the previous week (December 20). Compared to the same week in 2020, the trend was worse, with World News Tonight losing -10% average total audience and -17% among adults aged 25 to 54.

On NBC, Nightly News featuring Lester holt was invited by Pierre Alexander and Kristen welker during the week of December 27. The show came in second for the week behind ABC, both in total viewers (7.23 million) and among adults aged 25 to 54 (1.24 million). Compared to the previous week, NBC’s evening newscast was stable in total viewers, but lost -2% among adults aged 25 to 54. Compared to the same week in 2020, news shows fell by -17% in total viewers and -30% among adults aged 25 to 54.

In addition, on YouTube, full episodes of Nightly News on weekdays averaged 604,000 and nearly 481,000 viewers last week. This is according to data from Adobe Analytics and partner portals; YouTube analytics portal.

The CBS Evening News with Norah O’Donnell (guest-anchored by Major Garrett last week) averaged 5.13 million total viewers and 891,000 adults aged 25 to 54 for the week of December 27. This is + 4% in total viewers and + 6% for adults aged 25 to 54 compared to the average for the news from the previous week. Additionally, like ABC and NBC, CBS saw year-over-year losses in total viewers (-18%) and adults aged 25 to 54 (-24%).

Due to New Years Eve, all three evening news broadcasts were coded as specials on Friday, December 31. Specials are excluded from weekly and seasonal averages. ABC, CBS and NBC averages are based on 4 days (Monday-Thursday). The previous week (before Christmas) was also shortened. ABC’s weekly averages for this week are based on just 2 days (Tuesday-Wednesday), while CBS and NBC’s averages for this week are based on 4 days (Monday-Thursday).

Nielsen averages live and on the same day for the week of December 27, 2021:

ABC CNB SCS
• Total number of viewers: 8,747,000 7 233 000 5,153,000
• A25-54: 1,602,000 1,240,000 891,000

Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers, adults 25 to 54 years old. Live + SD Current week (without 12/27/21), the previous week (without 12/20/21) and the week of the previous year (without 12/28/20). Most recent: Season 2021 -2022 (9/20/21 – 1/2/22) and season 2020 -2021 (9/21/20 – 1/3/21). As of 8/31/20, national odds also include Out of Home Viewing (OOH). Averages based on regular TV broadcasts.